Our Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe is absolutely divine and the perfect dish when you are wanting a quick and delicious meal. You can be sure after you’ve made it once it will become a much loved and much anticipated family favorite.
Serve together with steamed rice, or if preferred you can serve with noodles, or even with bread and a bowl of salad.
Best of all the recipe is very flexible. You can adjust the amount of chili sauce, plum sauce, and sugar to suit the families flavor preferences.
- 8 oz. boneless and skinless chicken breast;
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing Chinese Rice wine (or Dry Sherry);
- 3 cloves garlic, minced;
- 1 green capsicum, seeded and cut into strips;
- 1 small tomato, seeded and cut into wedges;
- 3 spring onions, cut into 2 inch lengths;
- Oil for deep frying
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (B);
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch (B);
- 1/2 cup water (B);
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (B);
- 4 tablespoons ketchup (S);
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce (S);
- 2 teaspoon plum sauce (S);
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (S);
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese rice vinegar (S);
- 1/2 teaspoon Oyster sauce (S);
- 1 tablespoon sugar (S);
- 3 tablespoons water (S);
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (S);
- Pinch white pepper (S);
- Cut the chicken breast into bite-size cubes.
- Place the chicken into a small bowl and add the Rice Wine. Mix well and let marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- While the chicken marinades, Mix the Sweet and Sour sauce (ingredients S) in a small bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the Batter (Ingredients B). Sift the flour, cornstarch and baking powder into a bowl and add the water. Mix well.
- Add the chicken to the batter mixture.
- Heat up cooking oil in a wok. Once the oil is hot deep fry the chicken cubes. Don't overcrowd the oil, or it may cool down, better to cook the chicken in batches. Transfering the fried chicken onto a plate with paper towels will soak up the excess oil.
- Pour the oil into a bowl, leaving around 2 tablespoons of oil in the wok.
- Add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the sliced green capsicum and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Take the sweet and sour sauce you prepared earlier and add it to the wok. Bring it to the boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the chicken pieces, tomatoes and chopped spring onion. Turn the ingredients so they are covered in the sauce.
- Serve immediately with steamed white rice.
(B) - Batter Ingredients
(S) - Sauce Ingredients
If you don't enjoy spicy food, you can replace the chili sauce with ketchup for your sweet and sour sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases. Be assured the only products I recommend are those I know and use
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 413mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 20g
We try our best to calculate nutrition - however all ingredients vary slightly.
Join Our Recipe Club
Get The Best Recipes and Members Only Offers